Friday, June 26, 2009

O World, How Parasitic You Are!

I love in depth conversations with great young women and men of God. They are the people who inspire me, who encourage me, and who a lot of times put me back on the right track. But what amazes me the most is how God takes a conversation and sparks new thought.

What I have discovered is how enslaved humans are to this world. Not only those of the world but the Christians that also reside here as well. We humans LOVE pleasure. Is it merely nature? Yes. Can we overcome this sin? Yes. Do we realize how deep we are into the pleasures of this world? If you look at the church today that would be a no. Even I can say I am guilty. I am guilty of giving in to the Starbucks everyday, that cute shirt or pair of shoes every weekend I visit the mall, the over endulgence on the lusts that corrupt my heart. And I didn't even realize it until recently. Now, I know I am not the only one but I am publicly stating it. There is a problem.

The first step to recovery is to admit our weakness.
The second is to do something about it.
The third is to overcome it.
This can all be done with the help of Christ, but we must first realize the state and condition our heart is in.

What is your earthly pleasure or even your weakness?

Ladies, Is it that guy who keeps popping back into your life even though you know he is wrong for you? He wears you down so you give in then he starts feeding off of you like a parasite. Eating the life out of you, tearing you down, destroying what God has so preciously made. Same thing with guys concerning girls. A wise friend told me, do not return to old sin. It is like a dog returning to its vomit and eating it. How many times do we do that? That gross sin that captures us when we least expect it and for some of us.. we knowingly run back in that vomit and willingly devour it.

Same thing with the world... We know we don't need that cute shirt.. but we indulge anyway. We know we don't need that Starbucks everyday when really we can't afford it everyday but we do it anyways... We have to be the most glamorous on stage at church or the best dressed for everyone to dote on us. Is that really who we want to be?

I think not.

Christ tells us to die to our flesh daily. The only way to die to that flesh is to starve it. We must not give in the worlds standards, but to dive into the standards of which we are called by God to live .

How do we do that? Limit ourselves to what the world is constantly ranting and raving we need. The latest fashion tips. "Affordable ways to be glamorous." The world is constantly pulling us in and we give in. Unfortuneately that leads to slavery. Slaves of this world, but we are called to be slaves to the cause of Christ. Slavery for the cause of Christ reaps eternal awards. Slavery to the world leads to temporal satisfaction and a yucky death.

I want to live as Christ live. Simplistic yet a huge transforming statement. His life. His obedience to the Father. And ultimately, His love.

I am attending shop-aloic classes. What step do you need to take to die to your flesh?

Titus 2:11-14 (NIV)

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "NO" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope- the glorious appearing of our great God and Saviour, Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good. "


Let this be of a word of hope and encouragment.

Blessings and peace be upon you.

-Ava

No comments:

Post a Comment